Building on existing knowledge and experience, the cooperation is motivated by the goal of high and cost effective HSE standards for exploration activity in the Norwegian Barents Sea, focusing on new areas opened for oil and gas activity in the 23rd concession round.
The companies shall aim to develop common solutions that can facilitate:
The Norwegian Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA) has consequently pronounced “The far North” as a main priority, emphasising operator collaboration as a key to success.
A good understanding of the physical environment (meteorology, oceanography, ice conditions) is always required in order to plan safe and efficient marine operations. The BaSEC M&I group ensures that knowledge and experiences are communicated across the member companies and thereby ensure everyone has the full overview. The group also identify new challenges and propose/execute studies in order to improve the knowledge base and improve operations support tools.
1. Physical environment in the Barents Sea South-East (English summary)
2. Use of temperature data for winterisation (English summary)
3. Where is the Polar front?
Main focus areas for the Environment & Oil Spill Preparedness Working Group:
Agree on an operator joint approach of performing environmental risk analysis, oil spill contingency analysis and establish oil spill response for Barents Sea operations
Clarify performance of existing oil spill infrastructure and combat equipment in cold region operations and in ice infested waters (marginal ice zone)
Identify key issues and challenges regarding environmental monitoring and biodiversity
Some of the summaries are in Norwegian only.
1. Testing of conventional oil spill response systems in ice - exercise with NOFO (English summary)
2. Analysis of OSR regulations and authorities role in Russia in cas of transboundary oil spill in the Barents Sea
3. Environmental risk assessment for block 7435-9 in the Barents Sea South-East (English summary)
4. Oil spill contingency analysis for exploration drilling in the Barents Sea South-East
5. Status report for oil spill response in the Barents Sea South-East
Main focus areas for the Emergency Response & Logistics Working Group:
The group works with HWE risks connected to operations in cold and harsh climate conditions and with long distance challenges.
The risk picture is based on available recent studies from e.g. Barents 2020, Norsk olje & gass, IOGP and research institutes. The group will work towards a common operator standard for medical equipment and resources for the northernmost areas, also assessing whether there is a need for additional health restrictions to personnel. This includes training proposals, medical staffing, tele medical methods equipment and requirements, weather protection, PPE and clothing, health requirements and other common standards and recommendations among the participating operators in the Barents area.
Health and working environment in the Barents Sea
Main focus areas for the Mobile Drilling Units Working Group:
Map rig specific needs in different areas in the Barents Sea as a basis for ensuring year-round drilling operations.
Get an overview of technical limitation and alternative solutions related to Relief well drilling
Communicate with relevant professional institutions and technical authorities
Share operational experiences related to challenges associated with drilling in the Barents Sea
Identify challenges and opportunities with regards to cooperation on rig consortium
1. Use of DNV GLs winterisation standard and available satellite capacity (English summary)
The following operators are members of BaSEC:
• Statoil ASA
• Eni Norge AS
• Lundin Norway AS
• OMV Norge AS
• Engie (GDF Suez E&P Norway AS)
• Chevron Norge AS
• Repsol Exploration Norge AS
• Total E&P Norge AS
• Aker BP
• ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS
• Wintershall Norge AS
• Edison Norge AS
• Norske Shell AS
• DEA E&P Norge AS
• Spirit Energy Norway
• Cairn Energy PLC
• PGNiG Upstream International
• Lukoil Overseas North Shelf AS
For general inquiries related to BaSEC, the Steering Committee Chair shall be used as contact point. Please contact the Head of Communication for media related issues.
Svein Olav Drangeid, Chair of BaSEC.
Phone: (+47) 909 11 554
Kjetil Visnes, Head of Communication.
Phone: +47 975 06 300